: do you know about The Peninsula Hotel? :
i believe most of you have been to The Peninsula Hotel if you are in HK… shopping there and having tea at the lobby lounge is simply one of the best things to do during weekends… tai tais’ life! but do you know about the ‘who’, ‘what’, ‘when’ and ‘how’ of the shopping arcade history?
when The Peninsula first opened its doors in 1928, the hotel’s shopping arcade consisted of little more than one branch of The Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank. in the 1940s, airlines such as Pan American, Cathay Pacific and Philippine Airlines all opened ticketing offices at the hotel, allowing guests the convenience of managing their flight details before heading to the airport. since then, The Peninsula Arcade has expanded into a three-level retail centre, with over 80 boutiques.
– The first tenant in the shopping arcade in 1928 was a branch of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.
– In the 1940s, Cable & Wireless established its only Kowloon office in the shopping arcade.
– The longest staying shopping arcade tenant is Ascot Chang (located at MW 6), which opened in 1963.
– The Peninsula Arcade was officially established in 1979.
– The Peninsula’s retail outlet was once named The Peninsula Exclusivities. In 1988, it was renamed The Peninsula Boutique.
– Davidoff (1970), Louis Vuitton (1980) and Tiffany & Co. (1988) opened their first Hong Kong and Asian branches at The Peninsula.
– In February 2005, the world’s first Louis Vuitton Watch & Jewellery opened on the East side of The Lobby.
– In 1979, Chanel opened its first boutique outside of Paris at The Peninsula. In March 2009, Chanel expanded its store to encompass two stories on the Ground and Basement floors, in addition to celebrating its 30th anniversary at the hotel.
– Hermès opened its first shop in Hong Kong at The Peninsula in 1975. In May 2008, in addition to expanding its boutique into a two-level store, it also celebrated its 33rd anniversary in the Shopping Arcade.
– In February 2010, bespoke jeweller Henri J. Sillam’s first and only Asian boutique opened at The Peninsula.
– In October 2010, Hong Kong’s first Chanel Fine Jewellery and Watch boutique opened at The Peninsula.
– In May 2011, Ralph Lauren unveiled Hong Kong’s standalone Ralph Lauren Luxury Store, and Asia’s first Ralph Lauren Timepiece and Fine Jewellery Salon at The Peninsula.
– In May 2011, The famed maletier Goyard returned to The Peninsula as Hong Kong’s exclusive boutique
– In July 2011, Michael Kors opened Hong Kong’s Collection Store, joining its league of eight exclusive shops around the world
do you know:
do you know there are wonderful shopping services from the Peninsula shopping arcade? if you purchase a single item worth more than HK$50,000, you can have it delivered directly to you (hk island, kowloon, and new territories; excluding any outlying islands). cool, isn’t it? so if you are planning to buy a wedding ring, try to do it there and check out the service yourself =P